Breakfast bars are not my thing but my husband likes them. They are a quick, on-the-go breakfast. Since I’m always trying to ensure we eat as healthy as possible, I decided to try my hand at making my own breakfast bars. The recipe is from this site.
For the fruit filling I boiled frozen strawberries (I didn’t add water) and added brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground flax seeds.
Homemade Nutrigrain Bars
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c oats
1/2 c plain Chobani greek yogurt
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1) Mix the yogurt and brown sugar on medium for 1 minute.
2) Add the egg and vanilla.
3) Stir in the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
4) Shape dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 30 min.
5) Divide the dough in half, put half back in the dough back in the freezer.
6) Roll or press the dough into a rough rectangle. Trim off the sides and cut into squares that are approximately 3 or 4 inches by 4 inches.
7) Spoon some fruit onto the square, fold dough in half and press seams to close.
8 ) Repeat with the rest of the dough.
9) Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
*Makes 8-9 bars
They didn’t turn out the prettiest (in my opinion) but they are very good. I’m going to experiment with different fillings.